White canvas shoes are no doubt stylish, but they can be tricky to clean. If you do not clean your white canvas shoes properly, then they can turn yellow.
However, if you are looking for some safe methods for cleaning your white canvas shoes, then you are at the right place.
In this post, we’ll show you how to clean white canvas shoes without turning them yellow. We’ll also provide some caring tips to prevent them from turning yellow.
So, grab your shoes and read on.
- Use gentle soap and lukewarm water to clean white canvas shoes. Hot water might cause the canvas material to warp.
- Do not brush your shoes vigorously. This can damage the canvas.
- Never use harsh chemicals or detergents to clean white canvas shoes. It will cause them to turn yellow over time.
- Do not use excessive bleach on your shoes. Excessive bleach can turn your shoes yellow.
- Don’t put white canvas shoes in the washing machine or dryer. A dryer’s heat can damage the shoes.
- Unlace the laces and remove the insoles of the shoes.
- Wash the laces separately with liquid detergent.
- Using a soft dry brush, remove loose dirt or debris from the shoes.
- Stuff your shoes with paper towels. The towels will soak up excess moisture.
Using Laundry Detergent and Lemon Juice
- Laundry Detergent
- Luke warm water
- Lemon juice
- A dry cloth/sponge
- A bowl
- Mix a few drops of laundry detergent and lime juice with a bowl of lukewarm water. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent and will help remove any stains on the shoes.
- Soak a sponge or cloth in the cleaning mixture and gently rub the shoes. Make sure to clean the entire shoe, paying attention to any stains.
- Once the shoes are scrubbed well, rinse them with cold water.
- Allow the white canvas shoes to air dry completely before wearing them again.
Using Baking Soda and White Vinegar
- Baking soda
- White Vinegar
- Lukewarm water
- A dry cloth/toothbrush
- A bowl
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with two tablespoons of vinegar in a bowl. Stir the mixture until it forms a paste. Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent and will help remove stains from the shoes. White vinegar is a natural disinfectant and will help kill any bacteria on the shoes.
- Dip a cloth or toothbrush in the mixture and then rub it onto the shoes.
- Rinse the shoes with cold water. Cold water will help remove any residue from the shoes.
- Let the shoes air dry.
Using White Toothpaste
- An old toothbrush
- non-gel toothpaste
- A sponge
- Take a small amount of non-gel white toothpaste on an old toothbrush. Do not use gel toothpaste as it can stain your white canvas shoes.
- Gently rub the toothbrush over the shoes in circular motions.
- Let it sit for about ten minutes.
- Rinse with a sponge and cold water. You can repeat the process for better results.
- Allow the shoes to air dry completely.
Using Dish Soap
- Dish soap
- Warm water
- Nail brush
- A bowl
- A sponge
- Mix a half tablespoon of dish soap with a bowl of warm water in a bowl. Stir the solution thoroughly. Dish soap is a good cleaning agent to remove any dirt from the shoes.
- Soak a sponge in the cleaning solution and then rub it onto the shoes.
- Scrub the shoes with a nail brush to remove any stubborn dirt or stains.
- Rinse the shoes with cold water and leave them to air dry in indirect sunlight.
How to Clean White Canvas Shoes That Have Turned Yellow
If your white canvas shoes have already turned yellow, don’t worry. There are still ways to clean them. The most effective way is to use lemon juice.
Lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent and will help to remove the yellow stain from your shoes.
- Mix together equal parts of lemon juice and water.
- Apply this mixture to a clean cloth. Rub the cloth over the yellowish areas of the shoes.
- Do this until the yellowing disappears. Rinse the shoes in clean water.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the shoes later and let them air dry.
Caring and Storing Tips
It is essential to take proper care of white canvas shoes to prevent them from turning yellow. You can follow the following tips to prevent your white canvas shoes from turning yellow.
- Avoid wearing your shoes in wet or muddy conditions.
- Do not store your white canvas shoes in a moist place as it can turn them yellow. Always keep them in a cool and dark place when you’re not wearing them.
- After cleaning the white canvas shoes, while still wet, cover them with toilet paper. Then leave them in the sun to dry. This prevents the yellowing of shoes.
- Use a shoe protector spray before wearing your shoes. KIWI and Crep are two good choices for shoe protector spray.
Why did my white canvas shoes turn yellow?
There are a few reasons why white canvas shoes might turn yellow.
The most common reason is sweat and dirt. When these two things mix, they can cause the shoes to be yellow.
Another reason is improper storage. If white shoes are stored in humid or warm conditions, they are more likely to turn yellow.
Finally, white shoes can turn yellow if they are not cleaned properly. If the shoes are not rinsed thoroughly after cleaning, the detergent can cause them to discolor. Excessive use of bleach can also turn your shoes yellow.
Can you clean white canvas shoes using bleach?
Yes, you can clean white canvas shoes using bleach.
Mix one part bleach with five parts water. Do not use too much bleach as it can turn your shoes yellow.
Dip a toothbrush into the solution and scrub the shoes. Look out for dirty areas and scrub them with extra care. Now, use a damp towel to wipe off the bleach solution from the shoes.
Wash the white canvas shoes with cold water. Let it dry in a ventilated area for about 5 – 6 hours before reuse.
How frequently can we wash white canvas shoes?
You can wash white canvas shoes as often as you need to. But make sure to air them out later to prevent them from turning yellow.
What are the effective methods to clean super dirty white canvas shoes?
First, you can try using hydrogen peroxide. Simply apply it to the stained area with a cotton ball. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
You can also use a shoe whitener, which you can find at most shoe stores. To use it, simply apply it to the stained area. Let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off.
There you have it. These are some safe methods for cleaning white canvas shoes without turning them yellow. Remember to follow our caring tips to prevent your shoes from turning yellow in the first place.
Looking to clean non-canvas white shoes. Check our comprehensive guide – How to clean white shoes.
For removing stains from canvas shoe care, read our guide on how to remove stains from canvas shoes.
If you have any other methods that have worked for you, please share them in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.