To remove foul smell from shoes instantly you need.
- 90% Rubbing Alcohol
- Cotton Balls
- A blow dryer
After you have gathered your supplies follow the instructions below
- Soak some cotton balls in 90% rubbing alcohol.
- Wipe the inside of the shoes with the cotton balls.
- Set a blow dryer on the lowest setting. Turn on the blow dryer and hold it 6 inches away from the shoe. Dry the shoes for about 30 seconds.
- Leave the shoes for five minutes in a well-ventilated area. This will allow the water in the rubbing alcohol to evaporate.
Voila. Your shoes are smell free.
Here is another method for getting rid of smelly shoes instantly.
- Take a shoe disinfectant or a deodorizer. 10 Seconds Shoe Disinfectant and FunkAway are two good choices.
- Spray the deodorizing spray inside the shoes.
- Leave the shoes in the air out for five minutes.
Do not spray deodorant or perfume into smelly shoes. The perfume may react with the foul odor creating a funkier smell.
These two quick methods will help eliminate the foul odor from your shoes in five to ten minutes.
However, it is necessary to deep-deodorize from time to time.
So, here are some methods for deodorizing the shoes properly and tips to prevent your shoes from smelling bad.
Baking soda is a standard household product that removes bad smells from shoes. It is a cheap and easily available deodorizer.
Baking soda also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help keep your shoes free from odor-causing bacteria.
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Essential oil (optional)
- Mix a quarter cup of baking soda, a quarter cup of baking powder, and half a cup of cornstarch in a bowl. If you want your shoes to smell nice, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the mixture.
- Fill two cotton socks with the mixture from step 1. Tie the socks with a rubber band.
- Place the socks in the smelly shoes. Leave them overnight to absorb the odors.
- Remove the socks from the shoes in the morning. Wipe the shoes with a dry cloth. You can also sprinkle this powder directly in the shoes and brush it off the next day.
You can also sprinkle one tablespoon of baking soda inside the shoes and leave them overnight. The next day, just vacuum the powder out of the shoes.
White vinegar is another common household product used to remove the smell from shoes. It is a natural disinfectant and kills any bacteria causing a foul smell.
- White Vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Pour one part of white vinegar and one part of the water into a spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle to mix the white vinegar solution.
- Spray the solution inside your smelly shoes. Do not saturate your shoes completely. Just give them a light spray.
- Leave the shoes to air dry in a well-ventilated area. The white vinegar will help to neutralize the odor in your shoes.
- Make sure that your shoes are completely dry before you wear them.
You can also soak a cotton ball in the white vinegar solution and place it inside your smelly shoes overnight.
Rubbing alcohol is an effective household disinfectant. It has anti-bacterial properties that will kill any bacteria causing the foul smell.
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Cotton balls
- Soak some cotton balls in the rubbing alcohol and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Wipe the inside of your shoes with the cotton balls. Simply coat them with a light layer of rubbing alcohol.
- After wiping your shoes with rubbing alcohol, leave them to air dry in a well-ventilated area for a few hours. The rubbing alcohol will help to disinfect your shoes and neutralize the odor.
- Make sure your shoes are completely dry before wearing them again.
Essential oils are a natural way to get the smell out of shoes. They have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help keep your shoes free from odor-causing bacteria. They also leave a pleasant smell in your shoes.
- Essential Oils (Cypress, lemon, clove, and tea tree oil are commonly used essential oils)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Spray bottle
- Pour two tablespoons of essential oil and half a cup (4 oz) of rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle to get a uniform solution.
- Spray the mixture evenly on the inside of the shoes. Make sure the shoes are not saturated with the mixture.
- Leave the shoes in a well-ventilated area to air dry. The essential oils will help to neutralize the odor in your shoes.
The essential oil can also be used more simply. Put a few drops of your favorite essential oil in your shoes and leave them overnight. The next day, your shoes will have a pleasant smell.
If your shoes are filthy and smelly, then it is best to wash them. This method is unsuitable for all leather, suede, and nubuck shoes as they may get damaged. Before washing your shoes, check the care label to see if they are machine-washable.
- Laundry detergent
- Baking soda
- Mesh laundry bag
- Remove the laces and insoles from the shoes and wash them separately.
- Put the shoes in a mesh bag, then place the bag in the washing machine.
- Wash the shoes on a delicate cycle with cold water and mild laundry detergent. You can also add half a cup of baking soda to the washing cycle to help neutralize foul odors.
- Let the shoes air dry in a well-ventilated area. Do not put them in the dryer. The high temperature of the dryer can damage the shoes.
Mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a container. Soak your stinky insoles in the solution for around one hour. after one hour, wash the insoles with clean water and let them air dry.
Once the shoes, laces, and insoles are dry, put everything back together, and your shoes should be clean and fresh.
Preventing your Shoes From Smelling Bad
The best way to deal with smelly shoes is to prevent them from smelling in the first place. Here are some tips that can help keep your shoes smelling fresh.
- Clean your feet properly every day, especially between your toes. Bacteria thrive in sweaty and moist conditions and cause your feet to smell bad. Therefore, keeping your feet clean and dry is essential to prevent bacterial growth.
- Wash your feet thoroughly and dry them completely before wearing shoes. Wearing shoes on wet feet can cause your shoes to smell bad.
- Do not wear shoes without socks. This will cause your feet to sweat and make your shoes smell bad.
- Wear clean socks made from breathable materials such as cotton or wool. They will help to absorb sweat and keep your feet dry.
- Apply a foot powder to reduce sweat and prevent your shoes from smelling bad. Foot powder will absorb sweat and help to keep your feet dry.
- If you have sweaty feet, spray them with antiperspirant before wearing shoes. This will help to reduce sweat and prevent your shoes from foul smell.
- Apply shoe disinfectant spray after each wear. This will kill bacteria and prevent your shoes from smelling bad.
- Do not wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. This will give your shoes time to air out between wears and prevent them from smelling bad.
- Dry your shoes in the sunlight after wearing them. Sunlight can help to kill bacteria and will also help to remove foul odors from your shoes.
Do freezing shoes remove odors?
Yes, freezing shoes can help to eliminate shoe odor. Place your smelly shoes in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer overnight. The cold temperature will help to kill germs and odor-producing bacteria that cause your shoes to smell bad. In the morning, take your shoes out of the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature. You can also use this method on leather shoes.
Do tea bags get rid of smelly shoes?
Yes, tea bags can help to get rid of smelly shoes. Place a few dry tea bags in your stinky shoes and leave them overnight. The tea bags will absorb odors from your shoes. In the morning, remove the tea bags and let your shoes air dry for a few minutes before wearing them.
How to wash stinky shoes in the washing machine?
You can wash stinky shoes in the washing machine, but you need to take some precautions to prevent them from being damaged.
Place your smelly shoes in a pillowcase or laundry bag and wash them on a delicate cycle with cold water. Add ½ cup of vinegar or baking soda to the washing machine to remove the odors from your shoes. Let your shoes air dry after washing them.
Does a dry sheet remove the odor from the shoes?
Yes, a dryer sheet can help to remove odor from smelly shoes. Place a dryer sheet in each smelly shoe and let them sit overnight. The dryer sheet will absorb the bad smell from your shoes and will leave them smelling fresh. In the morning, remove the dryer sheets and let your shoes air for a few minutes before wearing them.
That’s it. Now you know how to remove the smell from shoes instantly and prevent them from smelling bad. Follow the tips above, and your shoes will always smell fresh.
We hope this was helpful for you. Have any other tips on how to clean smelly shoes? Share them in the comments below.