From two-tone skater sneakers to woven chunky boots, knit shoes have become quite popular over the last few years. But what is it about these shoes that make them so special?
In this blog post, we’ll explore everything there is to know about knit shoes—from their materials and benefits to the different brands making knit shoes.
Whether you’re a fashion enthusiast or just curious to know more, this blog post will answer all your questions on why knit shoes are must-haves for everyone. So let’s get started uncovering the many amazing features of knit sneakers.
What Are Knit Shoes
Knit shoes are revolutionizing the fashion scene as they offer a stylish and trendy solution for footwear.
These shoes are crafted using advanced knitting technology, which creates a finished shoe in one piece without any stitching. This makes them significantly more durable and comfortable than traditional leather, textile, synthetic, and rubber shoes.
The soles usually feature others, such as EVA foam or rubber, to enhance functionality and durability.
Knit shoes offer several advantages over traditional leather and textile footwear. They are breathable and ultra-lightweight. This makes them perfect for people who want to stay comfortable on their feet all day without worrying about their shoes adding extra bulk to their look.
Additionally, knitted footwear has become increasingly popular among eco-conscious consumers due to its ethical implications on labor. Since it is mass-produced from a machine rather than hand-sewn, it requires less labor.
Features of Knit Shoes
Now that you know a little about knit shoes let’s look at the features that make them so appealing.
The knit shoe uppers are usually knitted in one piece. These uppers are breathable and lightweight, which keeps your feet dry and comfortable. The knit upper can be made using cotton, wool, or synthetic fibers such as nylon and polyester.
The soles are often constructed of various materials depending on the intended usage and benefits that need to be offered. Mostly, knit shoes are produced with EVA foam or rubber for cushioning and durability.
Knit shoes are an excellent choice for all seasons, as their versatile material allows for various designs that can be tailored to the specific needs of multiple activities.
For summer and beach days, knit uppers are lightweight, breathable, and perfect for keeping your feet cool in the heat or sand.
However, knit uppers become thicker, sturdier, and more insulated in winter to protect from cold temperatures and snow. Their design also helps keep your feet warm with an added insulation layer.
Knit shoes are incredibly durable. Unlike traditional materials, a wide selection of high-quality yarns and knitting patterns offer superior performance and longevity.
Knitted uppers can be designed as pliable and lightweight or constructed with the strong, durable build needed for certain activities. It’s even possible to find shoes that provide both features within the same pair.
This means that no matter how intense the exercise or training, knit shoes can withstand all kinds of impacts while maintaining their shape and flexibility.
Knitted sneakers are crafted differently than traditional styles, as no stitching is required to make them. This eliminates the need for excess fabric, meaning fewer resources and materials are used in their production.
By eliminating the need for stitching, they reduce the materials used in their production and, in turn, the resources consumed in the process.
Additionally, many sustainable technologies have been incorporated into knit shoes, such as recycled plastic bottles used to create yarns and biodegradable products to further reduce their environmental footprint.
The uniquely designed knitting pattern creates a stretchy fabric that moves with your feet and holds them securely, providing a perfect fit. This flexibility also helps reduce stress on the feet, ankles, and heels while you walk or run.
In addition to this improved comfort, knit shoes boast innovative features such as sock-like uppers which hug the foot comfortably without any laces or buckles to worry about.
The breathability of knit shoes is enhanced by their unique construction, which enables air to travel freely through the yarns creating better ventilation around the entire foot area.
In addition to its natural breathability, this type of fabric also absorbs sweat quickly, ensuring feet remain dry despite strenuous activity levels.
The knit shoes are crafted with high-quality yarns and knitwear technology. These shoes provide a unique look that stands out from traditional leather and synthetic shoes.
With so many styling options available in all sorts of colors, there’s sure to be something for everyone regarding knit footwear.
Pros & Cons
Let’s take a deeper look into the advantages and disadvantages of this trendy footwear option.
Advantages of Knit Shoes
- Knit shoes boast a more comfortable, lightweight fit than traditional leather or synthetic shoes. This helps reduce fatigue when on your feet for extended periods.
- These shoes provide an eye-catching design that gives any outfit an extra touch of style, making them perfect for any situation, from work to play.
- Knit shoes offer a more precise fit than sewn materials, utilizing computer-aided design (CAD) technology.
Disadvantages of Knit Shoes
- The knit fabric traps dirt and dust more easily, so knit shoes require more frequent cleaning than other materials. This can be a hassle for people who want to avoid the extra work associated with cleaning footwear.
- These shoes may also cost more than regular footwear due to their unique design and the technology involved in creating them.
No doubt, Knit shoes are a must-have addition to your wardrobe. But just like any other item of clothing, it also requires proper care.
Here are a few points to remember to make your knit shoes last long.
- Take care when wearing them around rough surfaces such as roadways or gravel paths because the threads can be damaged if scraped against these surfaces.
- Stuff them with newspapers or tissue paper after cleaning to maintain their shape.
- Periodically spray your knit shoes with an all-weather protector explicitly designed for knits and wovens to protect against water damage, stains, and discoloration.
- Never place it under direct sunlight, as it can lead to discoloration from exposure to UV rays.
- Do not submerge the shoes in water or put them in the washing machine, as it can cause them to shrink or lose shape.
- Do not use harsh cleaning products when cleaning your knit shoes – instead, opt for mild soap and warm water.
Popular Knit Shoe Brands
Some of the popular knit shoe brands are
Are knit shoes waterproof?
Yes, knit shoes are waterproof.
However, some types of knitted materials may not offer complete waterproof protection due to their porous nature. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you check the level of water resistance of the shoes you intend to buy.
Ideally, knit sneakers and shoes provide an optimal combination of style and comfort, making them an excellent choice for anyone looking to add something unique to their wardrobe.
Also, because they’re made from natural materials, knit shoes are good for the environment.
So what are you waiting for? Explore all your options and find out how these fashionable pieces can help take your look up a notch.
Do not forget to check out our blog post “Boots vs. Shoes.”